The United States Government supported sector reforms in the energy sector, means Malawi power lines now have transmission capacity to absorb all investments in the sector which is among priority areas, Director of Investment Promotion at Malawi Investment and Trade Centre (MITC) Joshua Nthakomwa told the group.

Nthakomwa highlighted the energy projects across Malawi which were ready for investment and argued UK investors to partner with the firms that were already working on the ground as that would allow them access the market.

He also presented the expansion of Salima Livingstonia Beach Hotel, which he estimated would require US$20 million investment that would offer the first-class facilities along the Lake Malawi.

“This entails reconstruction of the hotel to four- or five-star status which includes 150 bedrooms, 300 seat conferences, a nine-hole golf course and a water world. The project requires an equity or financial partner,” said Nthakomwa, to the audience which included UK and Scotland Government officials, investment firms and Malawians interested in investing back home.

Nthakomwa also presented a US$2.6 billion project at Cape Maclear which he said will cover 275 hectres of land including a resort, international airport and a business hub. He said 60% equity has already been secured and the project owners were offering the remaining 40% to interested investors.

Malawi Tourism is receiving unprecedented publicity in the United Kingdom, with leading travel agencies, tour operators and tourism media constantly ranking it as among the hidden gems of Africa which has led to renewed investment interests among investors.-